Because of the cream cheese in the filling, I assembled all the left-overs and wrapped them in plastic wrap so I could refrigerate them. I think they are going to be super messy, but awesome!
I got this recipe (see below) from the Better Homes and Gardens site. I made the following adjustments: 1/3 less fat cream cheese for filling, used a carrot cake mix, did not let the cakes sit out for 24 hours (like I could wait that long!)
They are SO GOOD! If I could change anything, I would have the filling be a little stiffer because they are a bit messy!! I'm not sure what would be the easiest way to make it stiffer??
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 package 2-layer-size spice cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 recipe Marshmallow-Spice Filling (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil (grease foil, if using). In a large mixing bowl beat pumpkin and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add cake mix, eggs, and milk; beat on low speed until combined, and then on medium speed for 1 minute.
2. By the heaping tablespoon, drop mounds of batter 3 inches apart on cookie sheet; keep remaining batter chilled. Bake 15 minutes or until set and lightly browned around edges. Carefully remove from parchment or foil; cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, lining cooled cookie sheets each time with new parchment or foil. If desired, place cookies in a covered storage container with waxed paper between layers to prevent sticking. Store cookies at room temperature for 24 hours. Prepare Marshmallow-Spice Filling up to 2 hours before serving. Spread about 2-1/2 tablespoons filling on flat side of one cookie; top with a second cookie. Repeat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours. Makes 15 whoopies.
Marshmallow-Spice Filling: Up to 2 hours before serving, beat together 1/2 cup softened butter and one 8-ounce package softened cream cheese until smooth. Add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 of a 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until well combined.
- Servings Per Recipe 15 whoopies
- Calories 379,
- Total Fat (g) 19,
- Saturated Fat (g) 11,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g) 6,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 1,
- Cholesterol (mg) 75,
- Sodium (mg) 387,
- Carbohydrate (g) 49,
- Total Sugar (g) 33,
- Fiber (g) 1,
- Protein (g) 3,
- Vitamin A (DV%) 0,
- Vitamin C (DV%) 1,
- Calcium (DV%) 10,
- Iron (DV%) 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet